Thursday, February 17, 2011

Best. Tie. Ever.

When folks talk about the Bermuda of old they commonly refer to Trimingham's, a department store that originally opened in 1842 known for a "wide selection of bargains including doe-skin gloves, perfume, English handbags and Indian Madras sportswear," according to Fodor's 1961 Guide to the Caribbean, Bahamas and Bermuda (thank you very much BrandlandUSA). Unfortunately however, Trimingham's closed its doors in 2005 but its fine name still lives on, most notably on racy cravats originally made in England for the Bermuda-based department store. So here for your viewing pleasure is—drumroll please—the Doghouse Tie. As originally noted on Affordable Wardrobe, "Gentlemen, a friendly reminder: Excessive drinking of beer, time spent playing cards or golfing with the boys is likely to land you squarely in the doghouse." Yeah, that or looking at the back of one's tie, which has a scantily clad woman embroidered into the fabric (click the photo). Nice work Trimingham's. We hardly knew ya. Now, if anyone could tell me where I could get one of these fantastic works of art, I'm all ears.

4 comments:

  1. I was Triminghams' menswear buyer and one of my many areas was tie buying. When I came to Bermuda in 1982 this tie was already a hot seller. But some of the ladies in the tipping [the inside bit!] were approaching pensionable age so I decided to get some newer images. On my next buying trip to London I was forced to spend a morning selecting 4 tasteful pictures from a selection of hundreds of scantily clad young ladies. This was one of the nicer aspects of my buying career and I got paid for it [not much].
    These ties just kept on selling over the years. They came in 3 colours and sold for about $20 each [I think].

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try eBay or Etsy. Doing a couple of searches show that they come up for sale fairly regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They were made by Greville in England. English Sports Shop also appears to have carried them, but stuff from Triminghams (or Smiths) has more nostalgia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Got you one:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/283494519298?ul_noapp=true

    ReplyDelete