Friday, October 30, 2009

BMF: Wyclef Rocked. Badu, Not So Much.

If my pounding head and still-ringing ears are any indication I think I had a really good time at the Bermuda Music Festival last night. Blame it all on Wyclef. The multi-platinum recording artist kept the crowd jumping until 1:30 a.m., an electrifying performance that included old-school Fugees hits (Fug-Gee-Laa), Wyclef classics (Stayin’ Alive, Gone Til November), and Bob Marley covers (No Woman No Cry, I Shot the Sheriff, Redemption Song). Want a taste of what last night was like? Check out this 50-second YouTube video. I guess yesterday’s workout at the Fairmont Southampton paid off. Holy energy Batman! Unfortunately the same can’t be said of Erykah Badu, who lulled the crowd with her smooth, sultry voice. Neither of which was a bad thing, but the two performances couldn’t have been more different. With her own brand of laid-back neo-soul, Badu was the potatoes next to Wyclef’s meat (wow, did I just write that? I must’ve had a rougher night than I thought!). And as I suspected, Naturally 7 was indeed the real deal, as the soulful septet blew away the crowd with their R&B and acapella stylings. Tonight’s lineup: James Just Once Ingram, Michael I Keep Forgettin' McDonald, and the one and only Kenny Through the Years Rogers. Call it a hunch, but something tells me I won't be dipping into my bottle of Excedrin tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment